If you were involved in a crash that wasn’t your fault, you may suspect that the negligent upkeep of roads is to blame. In order to pursue compensation for your injuries and damages, you will need to file a claim against the owner of the roadway – usually a municipality like the Town, County or State. At this point, it pays to have an experienced Suffolk County car accident lawyer at your side.

The team at Carner & DeVita takes the guesswork out of suing municipalities for damage to your car. Our Suffolk County car accident attorney can review your case and help you file your claim right away. To get started, please reach out to us.

can I sue the city for damage to my car

Can you sue a city for bad roads?

In Suffolk County, you can report bad roads to the Department of Public Works (DPW). Doing so doesn’t guarantee that road issues will be addressed promptly. If you report a road problem and it is ignored, you may be able to sue for damages caused.

A car accident attorney in Suffolk County is very familiar with the most dangerous roads in the area. They also know what to do to report poor road conditions to local officials. On top of that, an auto accident lawyer will make sure you seek damages for any car damage you suffer due to a lack of response to your request for road repairs.
Carner & DeVita wants you to feel confident about your car damage case. If you want to partner with a car accident lawyer in Suffolk County who keeps your best interests top of mind, we’re here for you. To learn more, please get in touch with us.

Can I sue the local government for damage to my car?

Some states follow the doctrine of “sovereign immunity,” which protects them against legal action. Under this doctrine, you cannot sue a local government unless it consents to the legal action against them. In New York, sovereign immunity applies if certain criteria are met.

If you want to sue a local government in New York after a car accident, you must first file a Notice of Claim within 90 days of the incident. Failure to do so means you cannot try to hold the government responsible for any vehicle damage. Worst of all, you may be stuck paying the full costs to repair or replace your damaged car on your own.
Following an auto accident, hold a local government responsible for its negligence. You can work with a car accident attorney in Suffolk County to help you submit your claim. Then, you and your attorney can work together to make sure you get fair compensation.

The basics: Holding negligent drivers accountable

If you get into a car accident in Suffolk County, you can sue the at-fault driver. In many instances, you can request compensation from the other driver as part of an insurance claim. However, insurance may refuse to cover the claim, or the other motorist may claim that you’re responsible for the accident.

For those who are struggling to get money from the driver responsible for their car accident, don’t panic. You have other options to receive compensation from this driver so you can get your car repaired or replaced. In fact, you can hire an attorney who knows the ins and outs of auto accident cases.

When you hire a lawyer to represent you against a negligent driver, you’re in good hands. You can choose an attorney who has an outstanding track record of getting their clients the verdicts and settlements they want. This lawyer will make it easy to sue the at-fault motorist and any other parties responsible for your car damage.

What do I need to do to be reimbursed?

Carner & DeVita can help you sue any at-fault parties in your car accident case. For more information or to request a free consultation, please contact us online or at (631) 543-7070.