You may receive compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other losses relating to a construction accident. If you suffer an injury at a construction site, it may be beneficial to seek legal help. Our Suffolk County construction accident lawyers can help you seek the most compensation possible from an at-fault party.

The legal team at Carner & DeVita has a wealth of experience in construction accident cases. If you’re interested in filing a claim for construction accident compensation or want to review your legal options, contact us for a case evaluation. In the meantime, we’re offering answers to some of the most common questions we get about construction site accident compensation.

construction worker in a yellow vest shaking hands with his employer after reaching an agreement in a construction accident.

What compensation can I receive after a construction accident?

You may be able to get economic and non-economic damages. Economic compensation for quantifiable losses, such as property damage or medical fees, may be awarded. Non-economic damages may be provided for emotional trauma or other subjective losses.

In rare instances, a judge or jury may award punitive damages with economic and non-economic compensation. Punitive damages may be provided to deter an at-fault party from committing future acts of negligence.

Can I get compensation if I get hurt while working at a construction site?

Yes. In this instance, you may have to file a workers’ compensation claim. There is generally a 30-day window from the date of your accident to submit this claim. You don’t have to pay anything to request workers’ comp. Also, you may be able to get damages even if you were partially at fault for your accident and injury.

How much money can I get through a workers’ comp construction accident claim?

What you get for compensation depends on your losses. A construction accident attorney with an outstanding track record may help you maximize your settlement. They will work with you to build an argument to show that you deserve 100% of the damages you request.

Who can give me compensation after a construction site accident?

An at-fault party may be legally responsible for your losses. This may be a construction site owner, contractor, subcontractor, or anyone else who may be at fault. In appropriate circumstances, you may be eligible to seek compensation from multiple parties at once.

Who pays a construction accident claim?

An insurance company may pay out your claim. However, just because you got hurt at a construction site doesn’t guarantee you’ll get damages. An at-fault party’s insurer may do everything possible to avoid paying you compensation.

You’ll have to prove the party violated their duty of care toward you or chose to act recklessly or carelessly. In addition, you’ll have to show that because this party breached their duty of care, your accident happened, you suffered an injury, and you are now dealing with economic or non-economic damages.

What can I do to get compensation after a construction accident?

It may be best to file a claim right away. You can also gather medical records and other evidence to support your request for compensation. Avoid conversations with an at-fault party or their insurance company since they may pressure you to take partial or full responsibility for your accident and injury. In addition, it may be beneficial to partner with an attorney with experience in construction site accident cases.

Should I file a claim for compensation due to a construction site accident?

It depends on the facts surrounding your case. At Carner & DeVita, we can examine your construction site accident and provide you with personalized legal tips and recommendations. If you decide to hire us, we’ll work diligently to help you get compensation. For more information or to request a free consultation, contact us online or call (631) 543-7070.