Generally, it’s a good idea to contact a lawyer after being in an accident with a truck. Many factors complicate these cases, but most truck accident cases will result in more compensation because of the damage these large vehicles cause, thus more money is involved. Truckers have insurance, as do their employers, and many trucking companies are large and lucrative.
You should hire a lawyer after being in a truck accident because the trucking company doesn’t have your best interests in mind, and neither does the insurance company. Don’t assume you won’t need a lawyer to speak with insurance companies; these are for-profit businesses that try to avoid paying you the money you deserve.
Many times, a trucking company’s insurance carrier will offer a much smaller sum of money than you need. You can avoid this by hiring a truck accident attorney at Carner & DeVita. Our experienced lawyers know the regulations that truck drivers and their employers must follow, as well as the best evidence to look for in these cases. Call (631) 543-7070 or contact us here for a free, no-obligation case consultation.
How a Lawyer Can Help You Deal With Your Insurance Company
New York is a no-fault state. That means your insurance company will pay your medical bills after a truck accident. You cannot sue the other driver for the injuries and damages you sustained unless they exceed $50,000 or you meet the serious injury threshold required by New York law.
Unfortunately, truck accidents often result in serious or life-threatening injuries. It’s more common for the victim of a truck accident to meet and exceed the serious injury or economic threshold to pursue litigation. Your chances of recovering the most compensation increase exponentially with the help of an experienced Long Island truck accident attorney.
Article 51 of New York’s Insurance Law states the following injuries automatically qualify for a lawsuit:
- Bone fracture
- Loss of a fetus
- Significant disfigurement
- Significant limitation of use of a body function or system
- Permanent loss of use of a body organ, member, function, or system
If you experience any of these, you are eligible to file a lawsuit and seek compensation from the other driver. Call a truck accident lawyer at Carner & DeVita for a free, no-obligation case consultation. One of our experienced Long Island attorneys will review all the facts of your case, including medical records, and evaluate whether or not a lawsuit is the best option for you.
How a Lawyer Can Help With the Other Driver’s Insurance Company
We won’t allow your insurance or the other driver’s insurance get away with offering anything less than what you need and deserve. Because insurance companies are for-profit businesses, they’ll try a multitude of tactics to pay you the least amount of compensation.
The insurance company may try to convince you to not hire an attorney so they can give you significantly less compensation. Don’t fall for this trick – they aren’t looking out for you. That’s why it’s a good idea to hire a truck accident lawyer. Lawyers at Carner & DeVita are paid only after you recover equitable compensation, so you can trust they’ll work diligently to obtain the money you need.
Here are some things to keep in mind when dealing with the truck driver’s insurance company:
- The trucker’s insurance company may call you shortly after the accident. You do not have to answer their questions without an attorney. Ask that they call you back after you’ve consulted with a lawyer at Carner & DeVita.
- You shouldn’t sign anything the insurance company gives you. Insurance companies are looking out for their interests and may try to convince you to sign a waiver that will remove any legal liability. Signing one of these documents could greatly hurt your case, so make sure you ask your lawyer if it’s safe to sign.
- If you do speak with the other driver’s insurance representative, be very careful what you say. Insurance agents and adjusters want to find evidence that you were at fault in the accident and prove that you shouldn’t receive compensation. Try to avoid saying things like “I’m sorry” or “I feel fine” or, “My injuries aren’t that bad”. These could all end up harming your case.
Long Island Truck Accident Lawyer
Unfortunately, insurance and trucking companies don’t always have your best interest in mind. They don’t make money if they give it to you, so they’ll try and give you the least amount of compensation possible. This is unacceptable when you were injured in a truck accident and have to pay medical bills, vehicle repairs, and other expenses.
Speak with a truck accident attorney at Carner & DeVita for relentless representation by experienced lawyers. Don’t let insurance companies convince you that you’re wasting your time by hiring an attorney. They’re trying to pay out as little as they can, and they will if you don’t have an attorney advocating for you and fighting to get you the compensation you deserve.
Call Carner & DeVita, Long Island auto accident attorneys at (631) 543-7070, or contact us here for a free consultation.